Here’s what the website has to say about the potential uses of Lingt Language:
Create online assignments that make engaging and assessing student spoken performance as natural as giving out a worksheet.Make oral exams that take a fraction of the time to administer and assess. Perfect for IB and AP preparation.Offer targeted feedback to individual responses to maximize student improvement.Incorporate video and images to create media and culture-rich exercises.Archive all your assignments and student responses to reuse next time and track individual improvement.
Wendy wanted the students to learn and remember the Chinese Characters for various countries, and do this in a way that helps to contribute to the learning of others.
The students selected a country, then tried to come up with a story to create a mental picture, or visual association, that will help others remember the Characters in that country name. They recorded their explanation on a Voicethread, which included all the countries they were studying.
See example below:
Following that, students were then directed Lingt Language to answer some comprehension-style questions. A specific link is created for each class page, so you can link directly to the task. In order to answer the questions, students needed to view the Voicethread as a whole, and learn the country names that their classmates had investigated.
Students could either type or record their answers in the Lingt Language site. The other great thing was that Wendy could either type or record her feedback to the students – isn’t that fabulous?
Here is a copy of the Lingt Classroom page that Wendy created for the Grade 4’s:
- It is a user-friendly interface which is easy for the students to understand
- No log-in is necessary for students to enter responses
- The ability to record voice or type – this is fantastic for students and teachers alike.
- Teachers can mark and give feedback online, in both oral or written form.
- Responses can be organised either by student, or by question, meaning teachers can analyse results and check for group understanding.
- The potential for learning becomes 24/7, not just limited to the hours you are in a classroom.
- Great way to assess and support children according to their individual needs.
- It is an excellent way of collecting evidence of student-learning, particularly for student-led conferences.
Things to think about
- It requires the latest version of flash, so school/home computers may need updating
- Feedback is emailed to students, so students will require their own email address, or an address of a parent to receive feedback from Lingt Language.